Largemouth Bass Ceviche
Contributed by The Outdoors Chef
If you’re fishing clean waters, and it’s legal in your area to keep your Largemouth catches, this fish can make a very fine meal. Ceviche isn’t prepared with heat, so care must be taken to make sure the dish is assembled and enjoyed as fresh as possible. The highly acidic grapefruit juice, taking place of the more traditional lime juice in this recipe, denatures the protein and actually “cooks” the fish. Adventurous? Yes, without a doubt. Delicious? Absolutely. Next time you find yourself in pristine waters, think twice before slinging that Largemouth back into the water.
Recipe written by The Outdoors Chef. For more great recipes, hunting live streams, and cooking shows follow The Outdoors Chef on Facebook.
- Largemouth Bass – cleaned, rinsed, and finely diced – 2lbs 900g
- Red Onion – trimmed, peeled and finely diced – ¼cup
- Peaches – rinsed and thinly sliced – 2pc
- Grapefruit – zested and juiced – 1pc
- Fresh Cilantro – rinsed, leaves stripped and fine slice – 3tbsp
- Fresh Ginger – finely grated – 1tbsp
- Jalapeno Pepper – trimmed, seeded and fine dice – to taste
- Flaked Sea Salt – to taste
- Combine bass, onion, grapefruit, cilantro, ginger, and jalapeno in a large mixing bowl, fold together gently
- Season with salt and for additional heat add more jalapeno
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, check seasoning again before serving on peach slices